Monday, July 23, 2007

Salaam Bangalore !!!

I make a trip to Bangalore every month but the last one was the most miserable yet the most memorable one so far!! The misery started last week when I had a severe dehydration problem er... from top and bottom [courtesy: my office food topped with dead flies, and sometimes they move their legs like a downed soldier who stepped on a mine]. I was kinda semi-hospitalized and lost a few chunks of my weight. So I decided to go over to my parent’s place in Bangalore to hog as much as I could and gain the lost pounds. I finished the crappy work assigned to me at the office early to take the late night Bangalore Mail.


I hitched a ride on our company bus and reached Chennai Central only to find a stupid strike going on there and all trains were delayed indefinitely… boy!!! this was gonna be a loooong wait. Why do such crap things happen to me every time I go to Bangalore, another time my bus broke down in the middle of nowhere (that’s another long story). It was an agonizing four hour wait during which time I learnt a lotta new things about Chennai Central. Finally when my train arrived at the platform I could do the following things :

a) I had come across every single stray dog at the station and now I could prepare a chart on them cross referencing the breed, coat color and their barking frequency.
b) I could quote the badge numbers of all coolies working there.
c) I learnt that the clock at the far end of platform number 7 was running on Ethiopian National Time.

Anyways my train came and I reached Bangalore four hours late the next morning. And as per plan I started hogging down food much to the happiness of my mom. I had no initial plans of meeting my buddies in b’lore… but it had been a long time since I met any of them, so I decided to meet them and catch up on some good old times. First call to Jerry… place and time decided… The Forum Mall on Sunday. I asked Jerry to pick up Jithu and meet me there. I hadn’t brought much of my clothes with me other than the office formals I was wearing and a few changes for home. I rummaged thru the cupboards and found an old white tee and a pair of jeans which I used to wear when I was in college. Both fitted perfectly and off I went to Forum to meet my buddies.



As always I reached almost an hour before the others, but this was Forum and I aint gonna get bored even if I were alone. After babe-watching for a few minutes I decided to mug up some books for free at Landmark. I went straight to my favourite section… “comics”(:-D hee… I still like comics). I dragged a chair and started reading “Amazing Spiderman Vs Batman”. It was going good and just when Spidey was gonna kick Batty’s butt I felt a hmmm er well… a pleasant air-conditioning in my jeans. The MasterCard ad started flashing in my head where the guy says that its priceless to find yourself unzipped before someone else does… how true!! But how can this be I aint a 2 year old kid, how can I be so sloppy!! Thankfully I hadn’t tucked in my tees, hence no one was gonna spot the open post office, unless I lift my arms or wipe my forehead with the edge of my tees or do anything remotely stupid to that.With a quick flick of a magician’s hand I zipped myself and headed for the upper levels of the store. I was climbing the stairs and here we are again… the air-conditioning returned again. It was like some enemy of mine had created an African voodoo doll of mine and playing around unzipping it, to make me frustrated. I realized the zipper lock was gone for a toss… this was the worst nightmare for any civilized male homo-sapien.

Beads of sweat started forming on my forehead in the 5 degrees Centigrade climate of Landmark. I said to myself… “dude don’t panic… as long as ur tee is out u r safe… and don’t do anything stupid”. And here I was… walking around unzipped at the most happening place in Bangalore. And somehow it reminded me of our very own “mundu” of Kerala. Finally Jerry and Jithu arrived and as we failed to get any movie tickets decided to hog down some food. Meanwhile I called up K and asked him to join us.

Me: K, where are you? We are at forum... can you come here?
K: Yeoh man!! I am at a free lunch… u know if I don’t hog for free it ll be blasphemy!! I ll meet ya guys immediately after this party!!
Me: ok cya bye.

Then we headed to a place outside forum and gobbled up chunks of biriyani. I told my pals to wait while I go n fix my zipper at the rest room. I went inside to zip up, but this time the zipper hook came off totally!! I returned to my buddies and showed them the trophy- the broken zip hook. Both of them almost lifted me by my arms and took me a place nearby to get myself changed. I had to shell out abt 550 bucks to get a new pair of jeans and save the day. Meanwhile Jerry called up K

Jerry: where are you ?
K: Damn my Honda aint starting… I ll be a little late (Sound of breaking chicken bones in the background)
Jerry: Ok (hangs up)

We headed back to Forum to meet Rep and Thomas… and I was wearing my new jeans. We huddled around a table at the Transit food court and started on job crap, tech crap, bike crap, gal crap and discussed on how many lines were drawn in the past one year, how many lines got broken and how many lines became circles. Jerry called up K again.

Jerry: where are you ?
K: Man!!! I just slipped on a banana peel… I ll be there in no time… promise!!
Jerry: grrr (hangs up)

Rep and Thomachan joined us and so did K, with a look on his face which proclaimed that he was waiting for us there since two days!! . It was fun, it was the first good dude-talk of my wavelength since college. One thing that moved me the most during this trip was, I expected only a hi-bye conversation over phone with most of my pals, but to my surprise every single one I called turned up at Forum, some even keeping aside their already scheduled plans… and I am still on cloud nine for that!!! I am a man with few friends but the few I have are worth dying for… and of course I will miss my old jeans.

13 comments:

Bullshee said...

Ha ha ha....really funny....you guys have the sitting-at-forum-vaynokifying-pose all worked out!! :D

Anonymous said...

:) that was a cute one.. Well its so good to realise that you can still gather the strings from where you left them long before...
Rakhi

jocz said...

That was really cute and funny!!!
Great to c that u had an awesome time!!!
P.S. : I really hope u din wave at anybody b4 u came to know abt ur zip!! :D

Anonymous said...

nope... too long yaar... ain't got the patience for that... ws funny in parts.. but wasn't able to relate with the events..i like compact ones with bountiful of energy(like ur previous blogs.) ...

harris

Anonymous said...

Hey..
The part about friends was really nice..

Nasia said...

hahaahhahah!!!!! liked it...
Thomas`s comment is the best... where was Kaashif hoggin btw?
And air conditionin was the perfect term u cud give.. hahahha..

Ghosty said...

@bullshee: hehe thanks man, thats our natural vaynokifying pose !!
@rakhi: thanks.. I always have a bunch of die hard frnds hehe
@jocz:er.. well i think i did wave at jerry when i saw him...hope i
didnt lift my hands too much
@harris:next time i post a long blog i ll mail u an abridged version
;-)
@sowmya:thanks for identifying the gist of my blog!!!... and er next time do put your name :D
@nasia:Kaashif is the greatest party crasher, who knows he might not ve been invited for that party, hope he desnt c this :D

Vadapoche said...

Nice jeans! when my school mates land up in Chennai from wherever they may be; they want good old chettinad food, and its one of the "...Appars" where everything that runs, walks, swims, flies are killed in spices and made in "gas"tronomical creations.

Yes its gr8 to get back with frends even for a brief while.

George said...

The metaphors are good. Infact too good that I suspected their originality. One challenge that I can find you facing is how to be original yet write something that a wide audience can appreciate?. Too much personal that would reduce the appeal, too much general,, well copy right issues and competeting blogs are there. Anyway keep writing.
George Kalathoor

Anonymous said...

good morning everyone. I'm actually into shoes and I have been digging for that exact make. The prices due to the fact that the sneakers were around 320 bucks on every site. But definitively I bring about this area selling them for the benefit of half price. I absolutely like those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]prada sneakers[/url]. I will probably order those. what do you think?

Anonymous said...

good evening people. I'm actually into shoes and I was looking for that particular make. The prices as regards the boots are approximately 320 pounds on every site. But completely I set this location selling them for half price. I absolutely love those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]prada sneakers[/url]. I will definetly order those. what can you say about it?

Anonymous said...

hello ppl. I'm actually into shoes and I have been searching for that particular brand. The prices due to the fact that the shoes were around 190 dollars on every site. But definitively I base this locate selling them for half price. I exceptionally like these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will definetly buy them. what do you think?

Anonymous said...

hi everyone. I'm actually into shoes and I was digging as far as something that exact make. The prices due to the fact that the boots are approximately 320 pounds on every page. But completely I found this location selling them as a remedy for half price. I in reality love these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will probably purchase these. what can you say about it?